Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ED's going down!

I don't know if I am capable of conveying my current emotional state in writing without sounding trite and foolishly naive but here goes. My darling, daughter is back. She is better than back, she is a wonderful 17 year-old version of the sweet, charming, vivacious girl we had before the demon ED took over. And I am feeling lighter than air. The weight of the conscious and subconscious worry has been lifted. I feel like I've been released from a prison of dread. I wish every parent who is still in the throes of dealing with ED, could get a dose of this sensation for a day to help them replenish their energy.

It's been a long two years, of rebounds and relapses but now after six continous months of being at the right weight (in her case the 52nd percentile), adequate fat intake, cognitive remediation through playing SET on her ipod, a bout of binging and purging that left her feeling disenchanted with her disease as a friend, followed by a transformational trip to Poland to deliver wishes to terminally ill children, she is back.

I don't think for a minute we have gotten rid of Ed once for all, but I know that she is managing Ed, he's not managing her anymore. And I know that if Ed gets a hold again, we can get back to this place again. I know that every day she is happy, is a gift to be treasured. I know that two steps forward and one step back is still a step forward. I know that food is the medicine, eating is the therapy, and that evidence based knowledge can save children and their families.

I am blissfully grateful to every one of you helped along the way, with your gestures of love and support or your silent well wishes. I owe so much to the parents and the professionals who have been working as advocates for FBT and evidence based treatment. I hope to be able to find my own way to make a contribution to this community. If I can help you please let me know.
Namaste!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is beyond exciting!
    I've only recently started following your blog because I was inspired by your hope for your daughter and your effort and love.
    I'm so pleased to hear of this breakthrough :)PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for you.
    I feel like I am reading about myself, in a way. I am becoming a "17 year-old version of the sweet, charming, vivacious girl" I was years ago. This post has given me hope after a rough week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased to read about your success. I can imagine exactly how it feels to know you're on the winning side against the 'demon Ed'...

    ReplyDelete